Hurricanes long snapper Clay James has been listed among the 12-finalists for the 2022 Wuerffel Trophy. It is awarded every year to the student athlete who sets the bar for community service. In addition to many other things, James helped start a fundraiser to help those with food insecurity which benefitted a local food bank. James also volunteered with Best Buddies, Operation Christmas Child and the Lotus House while also spending plenty of time with local youth.
The 2022 Wuerffel Trophy semifinalists are listed alphabetically by university:
- Matthew Cedric, Cal, Senior, Offensive Line
- Dillan Gibbons, Florida State, Senior, Offensive Line
- Kearis Jackson, Georgia, Senior, Wide Receiver/Special Teams
- Clay James, Miami, Junior, Long Snapper
- Tanner Morgan, Minnesota, Senior, Quarterback
- Austin Williams, Mississippi State, Senior, Wide Receiver
- Barrett Banister, Missouri, Senior, Wide Receiver
- Sean Clifford, Penn State, Senior, Quarterback
- Deslin Alexandre, Pittsburgh, Senior, Defensive Line
- Aidan O’Connell, Purdue, Senior, Quarterback
- Patrick Fields, Stanford, Senior, Defensive Back
- Tony Bradford Jr., Texas Tech, Senior, Defensive Line
The 2022 recipient is scheduled to be awarded December 8 and the presentation of the 2022 Wuerffel Trophy will occur on February 24, 2023, at the 54th All Sports Association Awards Banquet in Fort Walton Beach.
Good luck to Clay James and thank you for making South Florida a better place!