OBB Legend

FOOTBALL    BASEBALL     BASKETBALL     FORUMS

Rome’s Southern Miss thoughts.2022-09-10T18:29:29-04:00
  • Creator
    Topic
    Roman Marciante
    Up
    ::

Welcome to college football. You expected a ground them out rushing attack brought to you by Frank Gore Jr. and it didn’t happen. The Golden Eagles had 33 rushing yards on 24 attempts. I saw Frank Gore Sr in the halls before the game and said hello and wished his son a good game. It didn’t happen. That was a very big positive for the Hurricanes, Miami took away their best player.

I give Southern Miss credit. For two reasons. One, for being creative and doing something unconventional considering the circumstances of who they were prior to coming into this matchup. Everyone, including the Hurricane coaches, considered this a running team.

Two, for showing the Miami Hurricanes they have weaknesses. The secondary was hit or miss. When it missed it looked really bad. The offensive line won’t be the highest graded OL according to PFF this week either. When you give up a few sacks it just suddenly came back crashing to earth. The offensive line is capable of let downs. Suddenly like a Rocky movie, the Russian is bleeding.

The energy vampires were out in full force the first half. The Canes just didn’t hit the field with the same intensity from a week ago. They were flat. They admitted it. Everyone could tell.

Tyler missed a couple balls he typically hits. The interception was quite bad too. In the end, TVD still was 21-30 for 263 and 1TD. That isn’t a terrible stat line. But over and over I said the running game would come at a cost. So far it has.

It was an impressive run by TVD but those consecutive 300 yard plus 3 TD games are in the rear view. I don’t necessarily think it is the WR fault either. The WR have been incredibly sure handed these first two weeks. This seems more like a conscientious effort by this staff to be physical. They don’t do as many RPO’s where a pass option gives TVD options to sling it. It has been substituted with straight runs.

Miami ran for 173 yards. That isn’t bad. 3.5 yards a rush is meh. It is just a different dynamic. Overnight you had a house decorator come in and change all the furniture and fixings in the home. It will take some time to get used to. TVD still will have big games. He will. But the commitment to get him numbers isn’t going to trump the prerogative to win.

I was so curious to see how this staff came out of the half. They passed with flying colors. You were in a 10-7 dog fight in which the offense was asleep and the opposing team reinvented themselves in one week. That was a lot to adjust to.

The defense pinned its ears and kept the Golden Eagles to zero in the second half and the offense doubled its scoring production. So you can’t deny the staff doing its job. Some fluke thing to also consider in the second frame. How do you get penalized for blocking someone too good? Then the pick six that wasn’t. He gave himself up? Really? Miami left some points on the board or were they taken away?

I saw in the Mario presser that they called some shot plays but the offensive line protection thing again. Sure, you got a flea flicker touchdown on the first play of the drive but the lack of big passing plays needs to be reconsidered. On Miami’s other scoring drives there were, 16, 9, 10, 13, 12, & 7 play drives. That screams more methodical less explosive. Is this a sustainable formula moving forward, time will tell.

There is some rumblings about players upset over playing time. What can you do? The transfer portal gives kids opportunities to leave and when they don’t play, it is human instinct to move on at this point. This is when the instantaneous satisfaction generation has an avenue as wide as the portal. Bad formula.

A dub is a dub. 30-7. The Miami Hurricanes need to self scout in a hurry however because a big matchup is on the horizon. You don’t have the luxury to make it to half so sluggishly and expect a team to just sit on their hands second half the way Southern Miss did.

They stunted on your line and they picked on your corners. The Hurricane jersey numbers they went after, they will continue to be the numbers other teams go after. There is a lot to digest after this one.

In the end, this is a very talented staff that has coached and amassed awards and championships. It’s money time now. If the Hurricanes adjust to what’s ahead the way they did the second half today, they will be alright.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • CoCreekCane4
      Participant

Legendary Account
      Up

Are the secondary problems fixable or we’re kind of stuck with who we have so we better get used to it this season?

• fraggle318
      Participant

Legendary Account
      Up

Those darn Aggie’s, I hope our team doesn’t take them lightly and they screwed up our chances to climb the ratings.

• Karen Rhodes
      Participant

Legendary Account
      Up

Where is the long video our paid membership gets?

• Shawn Michael
      Participant

Legendary Account
      Up

Can not agree more. This is why I came to the OBB. Someone like Roman who actually knows football. Miami has a real coaching staff. We will get better and better. Everything is fixable. Anyone is replaceable. Go Canes.
      Miami-23, TAMU-17

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top