OBB Legend

FOOTBALL    BASEBALL     BASKETBALL     FORUMS

Ro’s post TAMU SOTG thoughts.2022-09-18T15:19:05-04:00
  • Creator
    Topic
    Roman Marciante
    Up
    ::

After watching the Texas and A&M game and finishing the SOTG breakdown I have some thoughts on things. First of all I am reminded of last season’s sluggish offensive start. 13, 25, 17, 28. Those were the first four point totals vs. P5 opponents. Hardly world beating.

An offense is capable of picking up, including this one. The Hurricanes offensively remind me of two talented dance partners who just can’t seem to get in sync. I am talking about TVD and Gattis. Last year one was the ACC offensive rookie of the year and the other was the Broyles award winner. That is factual.

What is also factual is that you didn’t manage more than nine points on the road and that is never going to be good enough. Not in this day and era, so what is it?

It was a little of everything. I will start with the quarterback. His mechanics are off when he isn’t in time with the rhythm of the offense. He missed on some throws. He missed reads. He looked like a guy who was missing his go to receiver, cause he was.

Wide Receivers weren’t separating at times and when they did, (look at the paragraph above this one) drops played a role again. Last play of the game ended on a drop and the WR IMO didn’t run the best route. He leaked up field. Can’t have that. At the beginning of the season we asked which receiver, other than X, was going to step up, after three games the answer is none have.

Gattis. The Broyles award was last year. Quarterback’s are required to have short memories and your first big road test as Miami Hurricane’s OC was a dud. There were good play calls. Sometimes the boys let you down. (look at the above two paragraphs) but the red zone play calling was not optimal.

The Culture. If you were able to tell Mario Cristobal (the offensive line coach in him only)before the game that you would run for 175, average almost 5 yards a pop and not give up a sack? Mario gets giddy and surely thinks he is going to win that game.

Except Miami didn’t’ win that game. It was the first game that I could ever recall that the Miami Hurricanes out performed an SEC team in the trenchers (or any team for that matter) and lost. This was a new reinvention of the wheel if you ask me.

This game was lost on special teams, a discombobulated passing game, only 4 catches beyond five yards and red zone play calling that was Tony Sparano like. I whole heartedly think it is ok to have a culture that is physical and “starts in the trenches” but points need to be the priority first.

Mario got on paper exactly what he wanted and what he preached. It starts up front. And some things to clean up in the trenches sure, but it didn’t get you the win. No one is talking about the physicality after that loss, but everyone IS talking about those meager nine points.

There are things to build on. Things that are different than years past.

Defensively this unit is improved. Nationally, they are the 16th best unit in scoring defense, 18th in rushing defense, OK 47th in passing is not great but rebound to a good 23rd in total defense. They tackle much better and they don’t blitz at such a cost that big chunk yardage just falls off faster than a prom dress.

The Miami Hurricanes have a running game. A real one. Three games in and they average 219 yards per game. This isn’t Dan Enos 2.0. Not remotely close. Enos couldn’t’ run the ball and he couldn’t pass protect. When Enos faced off vs. an SEC squad he gave up 10 sacks.

Ultimately, I am not coming out from this film thinking this is doomed. I am thinking this needs to improve and it can. It has to start with the QB and his WR committing to being on the same page. You have a running game, you should have opportunities in the play action game, at least that’s what the scholars say.

Gattis needs to go back a year ago and watch what TVD did well. I mean this whole heartedly. Yes, Charleston Rambo was damn good but he isn’t playing on Sundays. He was not a sure fire first rounder yet TVD and him had something going.

I think the RPO elements can pick up a bit and you HAVE to have a conscientious effort to manufacture some big plays. But not like, ok we attempted a couple they just weren’t there. Commit to big plays like you commit to the running game. Create some breathing room for the offense.

And finally, you need to call games like you know what you have and you NEED to pick it up in the red zone. 17 play drives are meaningless when they end with a blocked FG or only 3 points. Last year this offense shot three pointers from half court like it’s name was Steph Curry, this year it frowns upon such things.

Either way, when you get in the red zone, you have to make those layups. Because man it is ugly when you don’t.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
    • Rgomez100
      Participant

Legendary Account
      Up

I get the feel that Gattis is doing the same as Lashlee did last year, conservative with TVD until he finally started to open the offense and not coach scared.

• Brian London
      Participant

Legendary Account
      Up

Well said!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top