OBB Legend

FOOTBALL    BASEBALL     BASKETBALL     FORUMS

Ro’s thoughts on the Bethune Cookman Game2022-09-03T21:20:50-04:00
  • Creator
    Topic
    Roman Marciante
    Up
    ::

Dominant. The first thing that jumps out was how physical at the point of attack this Miami Hurricanes team was trying to be. Mario is a physical guy and you could tell his imprint on this team was evident.

Earlier I wrote an article saying how the running game would come at a cost. TVD’s record of three touchdowns and over 300 yards passing was snapped today. The fact of the matter was it didn’t matter to Mario and the staff. 7 rushing touchdowns was a byproduct of establishing his culture.

I am not insinuating all is lost. There are going to be games where you don’t run over 300 yards and it’s tough sledding. TVD WILL be needed out there. The good news is he looks effortless out there. Just does what he wants and slings the ball with such easy motion velocity. Impressive.

X is that dude. His hard work payed off. He is going to be the go to guy when it matters.

The offensive line kept TVD and all the quarterbacks clean. They definitely looked much more improved from the seats. I can’t wait to go into the lab tomorrow on SOTG and watch the specifics.

12 set was in heavy rotation. The Hurricanes had no problem keeping two tight ends on the field at all time. Skinner, Dom, Will and Arroyo all saw action before the starters were essentially pulled. I don’t think this is a fluke.

Damn the defense has a ton of guys rotating in and out. Blades was primarily safety. I didn’t like a couple of lapses that I Saw. Keontra missed his guy out of the backfield and it led to a touchdown. It is almost a blessing that you have things to work on after a game like this. Keep the guys hungry.

Still don’t know how this defense will stack up in conference and when it matters. The good news is they have some experimentation and if guys emerge it could get better.

Great crowd today. It was a legit 50k plus. Us fans did our job. Great atmosphere in general you could sense the excitement before kickoff. I am happy for Mario. The son has returned.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
    • Toast
      Keymaster

Legendary Account
      Up

It was exactly what you would want looking at the scoreboard. Sure not letting them hit double-digits would’ve been nice for the eye test, but this was a dominating performance.

That said, we still saw many of the same issues on defense that we have been seeing for last few years. Missed tackles. Giving up far too many chunk plays. Stupid penalties. Mario will fix these issues, but six months of amazing coaching can’t fix all these guys. It’s gonna take time. That’s why I can’t embrace a double-digit win season like so many.

I’ll also note, the first depth chart is interesting. Definitely some talking points for us to get into during the next episode.

Q: Are you more or less worried about going to TAMU now?

• Page Horton
      Participant

Legendary Account
      Up

It was a pleasure watching the offense. It was a well oiled machine. We could of scored 100 on them. The defense was another story. Look I get broken play and a QB that gets loose. All well and good, but the fact guys where wide open and uncovered…at times it was pitch and catch football. The secondary did a really, really bad job yesterday. I can only hope this will be fixed. With that said, I saw a physical football team on the field. They ganged tackled and had a lot more discipline. A sign of much better coaching. Not sure how we fix our secondary issues. Its the same set of issues as last year. They constantly let receivers roam uncovered and they do a poor job of contain. We will see if in game 2 they can fix the issues. Unfortunately these are fundamental issues that are not fixed overnight. We will see. Great win, but really worried about this defense. A&M, UNC, UVA, Clemson have very good QBs that will feast on the defense.

• SDCaneFan
      Participant

Legendary Account
      Up

Was really hoping for more from the D. Very underwhelming. Our boy Neo missed a few tackles that resulted in chunk plays (one luckily called back). BCU did more to stop itself than we did to stop them. 7 False starts, pulling a hot QB, limp and cowardly playcalling … go for it on 4th and short … those 13 points could have been 21 in a flash.

I know we are all excited for the Mario era and all …. but clear eyes and all. A game like this is to find holes and fix them. I saw a lot that needs to be worked on … which I guess is a great thing for coaches … take a blowout win with lots of things to take to the next week of practice.

The play of the defense against BCU during the first quarter was horrible, not just bad. Missed tackles, wide open crossers, a clean pocket. There were a couple of stupid penalties that BCU made on huge plays for them that had no impact on the play. Their WR were open consistently, blown assignments …. IDK …. our ones had their hands full against an inferior team. Their coach, between switching out his hot QB … or playing ultra conservative … or their Oline not knowing the snap count….got us out of a lot of jams.

Our LB are slow, our CBs gave a step consistently, DL failed to get home and could not contain a mobile QB.

Offense was beautiful … that first deep pass by TBT to X over the corner on the outside was WOW. Dropping dimes. Guy was basically perfect, two throw aways, and one break up. Garcia was perfect even with guys pulling on him.

What I didn’t like was we are still looking for a WR1. Great grab by Redding! but we still are looking for someone outside X.

First time in years I haven’t been scared to death on every punt return. Keyshawn was amazing in KR!

I guess if you are a coach this is a perfect game. Blowout win … no major injuries … and lots of tape to work on. But damn … our defense has a lot more to work on than I thought going into the season.

GO Canes!

• Stat1124
      Participant

Free Account
      Up

Cant wait to check out the Breakdown. On that broken coverage play for the Touchdown, it appeared to me that we sent an OLB blitz and DBs were in man and asking ILB to cover the RB out the backfield when he wasnt even lined up with him would have been a very tough task to say the least and that is if he didnt have eyes on the QB and jump the back immediately. Seem to me to be a flaw and how that play lined up. I was cheering in the shade in Section 249 and it was amazing to be back at Hard Rock. My biggest take aways is that we most certainly will be a run first offense. When we face better opponents I think play action is really going to allow Tyler to shine. Might not have the incredible stats everyone is hoping for but he will definitely have him moments to shine if his Receivers produce. Our LBs are much slower than I anticipated. Now granted their QB was pretty damn fast and had wiggle and ya’ll know how we struggle getting a mobile QB down in open space. I think we are going to see more of that. #11 had him dead to rights on one play and flushed him out the pocket and then look like he ran into quicksand as #11 just widened the gap on him as if he stopped running. No dropped passes. That was amazing to see and X is definitely the man. Tackling was a bit suspect as the game started but got much better as the game wore on and the 3rd and 4th string guys were really impressive. Didn’t see much drop off in terms of tackling and not making mental mistakes. Also presnap penalties was night and day in this game compared to last year. Lots of things to improve upon but great first game.

• Roman Marciante

Legendary Account
        Up

On that coverage bust I saw the staff talking to Keontra after. That is what I saw on film as well. He looked to be responsible for the running back. He took more of bee-line to the flat but he initially lost sight of the running back who was going up field.

I believe that is Mario’s quote about “eye discipline.” Some mistakes out there sure, but that is almost a blessing. You win that big but convince the troops there is still much work to do.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top